Friday, August 13, 2010

How will I be remembered?

This is a blog that has been rolling around in my brain for a long time, however; I haven't been able to put it together into a piece of writing that was able to convey what I wanted to say without it turning into a rambling mess. This thought first came to me as I was driving home from a visit to Abbotsford. A particular song came on the radio that made me tear up. If you know me, and know my love for music that tells a story, you will know that this isn't all that unique of an experience, and a new song, on any given day, can often bring me to tears. One line in this song reminded me of Michael's grandpa, which lead me to thinking about his grandmother. For some reason it made me think about this woman whom I had never met, and as I thought about her I felt regret. Regret for never having gotten the opportunity to meet her, to speak with her, and to watch her interact with her family. I never had the opportunity to meet her because she passed away prior to Michael and I dating, so there wasn't time for me to have met her, but the regret is there all the same. I had heard about Elisabeth Haak before I even married Michael. A friend of mine (who is married to Don's cousin) had spoken about what an amazing woman she was and how she was a woman that lived out her Christian faith in all aspects of her life, and not just on Sundays. She also spoke about the love that she had for those around her and her servant heart. On our last trip to Abbotsford I was speaking with Michael's aunts and they were mentioning her in our conversation, and though we spoke for a short time about her, I could see that as they mentioned her willingness to be available to them, they were taken to a place full of fond memories of their lives with this woman. I could just tell that Elisabeth was truly a remarkable woman. She was loved by her family, as well as all who knew her. On the way home the next day this song just brought me back to that conversation with these two ladies and I thought about the verse "Her children arise and call her blessed..." Proverbs 31:28a, evidence that Elisabeth obviously lived her life well. I couldn't help but be sad that I would never meet her in this life time, but I was impacted greatly by the idea of living so that people will regret not having known me. What a powerful statement, what an overwhelming goal, what an opportunity! I couldn't sleep that night as I lay in bed thinking about my life, and what people would say about me when they remembered me. Would it make people wish that they had known me? Will it inspire others to live better? Like Elisabeth, I do not mean this in anyway to bring glory to myself, but to instead bring others into the loving family of Christ. Elisabeth Helen Haak has become an inspiration to me even though we have never met. She has inspired me to become a "there you are person" instead of a "here I am person," someone who truly sees people and their needs, not just focusing on myself. I want to be a woman that mirrors Christ. When people look at me I pray that they will see Christ living in me, and that through this, people will be drawn to him. I look foreword to the day when I will finally meet Elisabeth in heaven, and I hope that I will do justice to her memory, that I will work hard to become the person that she has inspired me to be. "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." Proverbs 31:29-31
Elisabeth was a nurse,
even her profession meant caring for others.
I just love old wedding photos so I had to include this shot.

6 comments:

Jessica Thiessen said...

Wow, Shawna. Thank you so much for writing about Grandma! You would have really loved her! You know how to write some beautiful posts :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Shawna. As soon as I saw my mom's picture, before I read your beautiful words I was already tearing up. Thank you for the beautiful reminder of who she was. Many of the characteristics you shared about her are also true for you, you and her are very much alike.
Love Aunt Betty-Lou

Andrew Haak said...

nice one shawna :)

Renee said...

me too!

Anonymous said...

made me tear too. so good.
danelle

Unknown said...

oh that is so cool. What an idea hey. It was specially neat too b/c I just dipped into proverbs 31 again yesterday and read those verses you quoted. The more I read that chapter the more I love it.
Thanks for the wonderfully thought provoking blog!