Sunday, May 30, 2010

Welcome to our Life!

I have decided to enter the world of bloggers. I have dabbled in the blogging world a little bit for work. I am a teacher through Anchor Academy and I guide home school families in ensuring that their children meet all the government requirements for their grade level. We have been asked to create some sort of tool that can be used as an online classroom. I chose to do a BlogSpot blog and found that I really enjoyed the creative aspect to it. Doing this caused me to think more about doing a personal blog. I enjoy writing and expressing my thoughts, but I have always been too insecure to actually do it. I find that I have so many ideas for what to write, but when I try to sit down and translate the thoughts onto paper they become muddled and wander off the point. As I was reading some of the blogs that I follow, Lady Bugs ‘N’ Lattes in particular, I was inspired to approach my personal blog as a documentation of our family’s journey, as an opportunity to record the little things in our life. It somehow became less intimidating and I began to think of the possibilities of having a record to show my kids what I felt, thought, and experienced as we walked along our daily life. Time seems to go so quickly and I want to just take a moment on a regular basis to reflect on my experiences, to document where God is leading me, to slow down and take in the beautiful things my kids say and do, and the lessons that I learn from them. I am hoping that committing to a blog will give me the accountability to force myself to do this. I have given my blog the title “Learning to Dance in the Rain” because I love the quote “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.” We have this displayed in our home and it is a daily reminder to not allow myself to enter survival mode. With four kids five and under, it is easy to allow myself to focus on the “one days,” one day my house will be clean, one day I will have enough sleep, one day I will find time to think, one day I won’t have to wipe poopy bums... instead of soaking in the moment, and experiencing the joy of the chaos that is our life. I don’t want to look back and wish I would have lived in the moment, and danced in the rain. I was reminded of this yesterday as my beautiful, almost two year old, forced me to slow down and experience the thrill of walking in a rain storm. With no sense of urgency she toddled up the road enjoying each rock, bird, and rain drop along the way.
We literally danced in the rain! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!!!!
First of all congratulations for jumping on in to the land of personal blogs!
Second of all I love this blog...and the whole rain thing is SUCH a good reminder. I totally do the 'one day' thing....

Thanks for sharing Shawna and I look forward to following your rainy (and sunny) day stories :)

Leanne said...

So happy to see you here! I love the rain quote too... my mom and dad just gave me a small print with it on it and I'm looking for the perfect spot in my house to hang it so I'll be reminded to enjoy the moment.

Anonymous said...

well done!! maybe i still am the little siste who wants to copy what my big sis does cause this makes me want to blog!!!
renee

Doris said...

yahoo! Welcome to the world of blogging! I love the 'living in today' focus. That is exactly what blogging does - draws our attention to what is happening around us in each moment.