Saturday, July 10, 2010

Family Connections!

We recently took a trip to meet with Michael's family in Abbotsford. It is amazing how going on a road trip takes so much work to get ready, and yet I love these times. It took us longer than usual, as the three girls could not coordinate their urgent "I have to pee now!!" screams, which meant we stopped many times to, as Bella puts it "pee trees!" I couldn't help but laugh as I realized how much easier these stops will be with Mason than they are for the girls. One of the things that I love best about these road trips is that we are all in each other's space for a considerable chunk of time and it is a great opportunity to connect with the kids. We played games, talked about songs, and spent a lot of time listening to the girls chatter and laugh. Eventually we pulled out the portable DVD players, which usually buys us an hour or two of silence, as the kids settle into the movie or fall asleep. No such luck this time though, Bella, who is not yet interested in cartoons and had decided she didn't need a nap, saw this as a glorious opportunity to talk uninterrupted the rest of the way. She didn't stop talking the whole trip, from the minute we left the driveway, to pulling into our destination she talked or sang or yelled. Even food didn't encourage her silence, she merely spoke in between bites. It was amazing, at times frustrating, but overall, Michael and I could not help but find the humour in the fact that a two year old would have so much to say and in such an urgent manner.
         The goal of our trip was to see as many of Michael's relatives as possible. Most hadn't yet met Mason and we figured he was the perfect age, he smiles at everyone like he has  been waiting for you all day, and doesn't yet make strange. We are lucky enough to stay at Michael's Aunt and Uncle's place, they make us feel so at home, and the girls love spending time with them. Our kids are blessed to have nine grandparents, five of which live within minutes of us, as well as many aunts, uncles, and cousins. It is so important to me that we continue to keep the tradition of traveling to see relatives and attending family gatherings. I want my kids to grow up knowing the amazing family that they are a part of, and to recognize the legacy that has been left for them. My immediate family is very close and are grounded in God's grace, however, I do not really know my extended family and most are not believers. Being a part of Michael's family has given me a huge appreciation for generational Christianity. Not only do they get together and love each other, but they love the Lord, and it is evident in their lives. I want my kids to grow up with an appreciation for this heritage, I don't want it to become something that they take for granted or forget to acknowledge. While I was there I was inspired as to how I want to live my life (which I will write about in another post), and I hope that my kids will be inspired by their aunts, uncles, great-aunts and uncles, grandparents, and great-grandparents, and even their cousins. The chaos and cost of a road trip pales in comparison to the blessings we receive while we are there! These memories are priceless as are the relationships that are formed. My children are truly blessed to be a part of a family that loves them, and prays for them "He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands." Deuteronomy 7:9b
Great Grandpa Haak couldn't wait to hold Mason!
Great Grandpa and Grandma Martins took us out to their favourite restaurant for a fun filled lunch, and had a toy vacuum for the kids from MCC, both of which are little reminders of who they are and what they enjoy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shawna I love your attitude and how you value your family. ..even when surrounded by the chaos of a roadtrip! Glad to hear you had a good time visiting family.
Ps -thanks for the call the other night!

Renee said...

wow, pretty sure i had this same conversation with daniel at his grandparents 50th! God is good!