Monday, May 2, 2011

He's Walking!


It's official, Mason is walking! I thought that I would be incredibly sad when Mason took his first steps, but I discovered that it was just as exciting as when Cheyanne began to walk. I am very thankful that Mason didn't start walking until after he turned one, because now that he walks, he doesn't really seem like a baby anymore. The timing is perfect, Thank you Lord! He has started to walk as we spend more time outside, this means that he will be a lot less dirty and wreck a lot less pants when we play in the yard, or as camping season begins. He took his first steps on Monday, April 18th, without realizing what he was doing. Prior to taking these two steps he wasn't even standing unassisted yet. He has had the coordination to walk for a long time and the balance to stand, but hasn't been interested, however, when he first took steps he was carrying a large basket at my mom's house, and thought that he was walking while pushing the basket, not realizing that he had lifted the basket off the ground. By Friday he was walking across her kitchen and the lawn outside while we did an Easter Egg hunt. It was pretty amazing to watch how quickly he went from taking two steps to fully walking. In just two short weeks he went from not even standing on his own, to being able to stand himself up from the ground, unassisted and walking on a regular basis. Mason is especially encouraged to walk when he knows he will receive a large cheer and lots of clapping, the little show off, lol. He still crawls once he falls down because he is faster at crawling then walking (another perk to his walking more now, it has slowed him down!).

While I am writing a post about Mason, I figured I will just post a few more tid-bits about who he is. Prior to walking his preferred way to get around has always been a funny little crawl that was a bit of a twist on Lexi's two kneed walking. I'm convinced that he watched her get around and figured he would try to one up her, haha. He gets into the position that a man would propose in and uses his one foot to step and drag the other knee, it is so cute and I am thankful that he hasn't completely given up this style of crawling yet.  I tried to upload a video of this unique crawl because it is really hard to explain without seeing it but I couldn't get it to work. I have never seen another kid move around like this, my mom says he looks like a little prince or a knight when he moves like this. He's growing up and getting cuter everyday, as you can see by the pics that I am posting :). He is such a funny little boy, he loves to smile and laugh and he is always up to play a game, especially peek a boo! When he wants to play he sticks his hands over your eyes and then enthusiastically pulls them off with his hands in the air and says "there you are" (obviously in baby language, lol, which makes it even cuter). He is starting to say a few words, his favourite is "dis" (this) and "dat" (that). He attempts sisters and has even tried Cheyanne. I am so amazed at how much smarter he gets every day, he knows when I am telling him to do something, and gets excited when I say that Lexi is coming over. He loves to kiss, usually with a wide open drooly mouth, which sometimes has me afraid he will bite my lips, but I love those kisses all the same! And, as an added bonus, he is sleeping through the night fairly regularly. I can't gush enough at how cute I think he is, haha, but seriously, he is that cute!

hmm, should I go for it?
An action shot of his early walking

Not his best pictures I know, but it is the best I could do to demonstrate his unique crawl :)

wearing his hat Saskatchewan style ;)

Being silly and pretending to be a baby, he doesn't have a sucky nor does he usually sit in this chair. He also knows that he is funny when he sits in it, and is quite tickled with himself when he makes us laugh by crawling into it.
Cruising around in the little Tonka Truck grandma and grandpa Haak bought him for his birthday.
Helping to unload the groceries
my little office assistant!
This is Cheyanne's idea of babysitting, lol.
cruisin' around in his police car from Great grandma and grandpa Martins.

No comments: