Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Heartbroken!!

 It had been 17 long years since the Canucks made it into the Stanley Cup finals and we were convinced that this was our year. I remember crying in 94 when they lost game 7 and really believed that they could do it this time. After a year of homemade pizza on hockey night in Canada, and an extra two months worth of hockey, we had finally gotten our girls into the hockey spirit. By the final round of the Stanley Cup playoffs the girls were drawing hockey rinks, Stanley cups, scoreboards that showed Canucks 100 to Boston 10 and a variety of other hockey related pictures. We spent the day running all over Vernon so they could have their own Canucks regalia, pink Canuck capes soon became their favourite wardrobe accessorise. They were excited to see the Stanley Cup and were cheering the Canucks on, Bella would randomly break out in "Go Banucks Go" when ever she saw a flag, hat or t-shirt that had their emblem on it. We all had a sufficient amount of Canuck Spirit going in this house. We got together with friends for a final game BBQ and the game was so disappointing and our kids over tired, that we left in the second intermission! I still kept thinking that they would pick it up in the third and that if they could just get a goal things would turn around and they would mount an astounding come back. Sadly we were wrong, it was not our year, and it was Boston's turn to hoist the cup and end their 40 year slump. Michael couldn't even stand to watch it, with a minute left he went outside to work on my fourth garden box that I had been bugging him to finish lately, when he finally came back in the TV was filled with images of the riots in downtown and we watched in disbelief as drunken fans joined in with those who had gone downtown simply to cause problems. I am sure the riots were started by those who planned to riot win or loose, you could see those who were there for that specific reason because they had bandannas or masks over their faces, (and really who walks around with those in their back pockets?) but there were also a lot of fans who got caught up in the moment and joined in the destruction. It was such a sad way to end a great run to the cup! As I was watching I had to text Michael's aunt to find out whether his cousins were ok, as I knew they were in the area, and thankfully they had seen it coming and took off right away.  She has a great perspective posted on her blog that is well worth the read.


So we are left looking forward to next year's hockey season with high hopes for another run at the cup and we will still be cheering on our favourite team in the blue and green hoping for the first Stanley cup. I personally am hoping that Luongo is back as I think he deserves to be the number one goal tender and can't be entirely blamed for the loss, but that's just me, haha, I know other fans love to boo him when he's bad and cheer him when he's good, such bandwagoners, lol.

Bring on football season, GO Lions Go! Let's hope one BC team can bring home the cup this year :)

All dressed in our Vancouver best!

Even managed to catch the rainbow in the background!

Mason and I in our team Jerseys (mine was a B-day gift)
I even did my nails in Canuck colours to support the team!

Bella and Daddy watching the game together.

A few funny "kidisms" that came out of watching the playoffs with our kids:

Cheyanne: watching the players push and shove each other around and hearing the whistle blow and seeing some players escorted to the penalty box burst out laughing and says "hahaha, they got a time out" to which Bella added "ya, they have to sit in the naughty spot."

Bella: would yell at the TV "you stinkin' hawks"

Cheyanne: "I really want the Canucks to win but I don't want the other guys to get hurt!"

Emme: "How do the players get out of the TV when they are done playing?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha i love emme's thought. she has such a great look on life.
danelle

Leanne said...

Our kids were all over the Canucks this year too. It certainly helps that with every win there was a "parade" in front of our house! We made flags for the kids to wave at all the honking cars. Sam's was blue and he colored a Canuck logo to glue on. Maarti's was pink and she decided she wanted a strawberry on it instead of anything Canucks... oh well... I guess when you're three you can show your loyalty any way you want!