Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Corn Harvest

The custom guys we hired had the exact equipment that our guys have always used. It definitely made it harder to wrap my brain around the fact that it wasn't them out there!



Michael worked long hours, doing a difficult job, thank you for all the prayers!


Finished and covered in plastic to prevent spoilage! After the plastic and tires the guys cover it with sawdust for even more protection (you can see that in the below picture.

It was a good harvest this year, Don would have been so proud!
Corn Harvest was particularly hard this year. With each row that disappeared I couldn't help but feel like we were slowly removing Don's fingerprints from the farm. Harvesting was hard knowing that it was the last crop Don would ever plant here. It was so hard knowing that it wasn't grandpa driving the harvester and that it wasn't Don driving the buggy wagon, it wasn't them out there getting the machines ready and talking about what type of crop it was, laughing as they worked. Instead of family, it was strangers and it just felt hollow. It was eiree to see the tractor and harvester that looked just like ours, like the one Don got ready every year, working away at the field. My mind couldn't quite process the fact that it wasn't him, and many times I kept thinking he was going to be there, like we'd head to the barn to say hi to Michael, and Don and grandpa would be there talking about how many loads they did that day and laughing over some mistake that had been made, like grandpa hitting a telephone pole or something. We didn't get together for lunch, and instead worked longer then normal hours. It was sad, harvest for us was always fun, yes it was stressful to make sure that it got done, but within that we still took time to eat together and to enjoy each other, and it was so sad to know that this year it was all about getting it done, and very little time was taken to rejoice in a plentiful harvest. I am thankful it is done, and it can be another stone in our monument, reminding us that God was faithful at this time, and no matter what the future holds he will be again. I know many people were praying for us, and I truly believe that's why we made it through, that's how we were able to stand up under the weight of our grief. I appreciate your prayers so much, and ask that you continue to pray for us as we walk this journey. I take great comfort in this: "that when troubles com your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." James 1:2-4

1 comment:

Jessica Thiessen said...

I love that verse. We won't stop praying for you guys! <3