Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Halloween


This year Halloween was a bit chaotic for us. I was waiting for our family to get sick, as Bella had been sick a few days before and it hadn't hit the rest of the kids yet. As of the day before Halloween I had no idea what anyone would dress up as. A friend dropped off a queen costume for Cheyanne and so we had one kid planned for sure and Mason intended to be a fat cow. Come Halloween morning when we brought costumes up from the crawl space it turned out that we couldn't find the cow and none of our other costumes would fit or suit anyone else. So it was time to get creative! 

First it was Bella, she decided for some strange reason she wanted to be a funny snail. I browsed online and found someone had used nylons and material to create a shell, so we went from there. Using a pair of tights from my closet, our spare sheets and a hot glue gun I was able to create her shell. From that we found clothes in her closet, a head band, pipe cleaners, and of course a little bit of lip gloss completed the ensemble.


Next came Emmeresen. Her struggle was she couldn't decide what she wanted to be. It was like there were too many options running through her brain and she just couldn't commit to any of them. Luckily, I found a white dress stashed away that had been passed down to us and was still too big for any of the girls. With that it was decided she would be a bride. We used pins to make the dress fit, an old dress up tutu/skirt for a veil, fake flowers from our wedding decorations and a little bit of make up to complete her look. She was all about the mature elegant pose and expressions when we took her pictures. She has obviously looked at a few fashionable brides who don't smile. lol. 


And finally it was Mason. He has a pair of ugly camo pants that he likes to wear and I think are tacky but they worked perfectly for him to become one of the famous bible loving characters from the crazy show Duck Dynasty. I found an old orange and black wig from our youth sponsorship days when we went to the football game and cut out as much of the orange as I could. I took the wig and gave it a hair cut saving the pieces I cut off gluing it onto a piece of foam to be used as his beard. A bandana and mirrored sunglasses were the finishing touches in creating little Willy. :)




Cheyanne inherited her costume from a friend so she was nice and easy. All we needed to add was some fancy hair and a bit of makeup, always her favourite part! She was definitely very regale!





Daddy wasn't able to be done in time for us to head out, so our first stop was to head to the barn to trick or treat and see what Daddy and Henry had for us! 



Next we hit our wonderful neighbour. The kids love going to her place because she always has a festive house and her costumes are the best! 



As usual we bumped into the crazy Derksen clan along the way. So while we went up and down the road I grew up on the kids car hoped along the way. We had some crazy minions join in the fun :)


I think my favourite part about trick or treating is how we end up visiting with people we never see. We take our kids to my old neighbourhood and they knock on the same doors that I knocked on as a kid. For the most part it's the same people answering those doors and exclaiming just how cute the kids are, laughing at their costumes, and catching up. It's pretty neat to see the kids getting to know the people that I grew up knowing, even if it is only once a year to get candy :)

And.....our Halloween ended with........the dreaded flu I had been waiting for. It started with Emme around midnight throwing up all over her bed and the floor, next Bella came into our room with a tummy ache. As she crawled into bed, tucked herself in she sat up and barfed all over my side of the bed, luckily I jumped out of the way just in time, but unfortunately for me, I had glued my spare sheets into her costume :S. The next morning Mason and then Cheyanne followed suit. 

Mason and Bella passed out on the couch, Emme was smart and went to bed for 5 hours. Woke up feeling fine :)
This was a long and violent flu, nobody could go too far without their puke bucket!

No comments: