Friday, May 13, 2011

Just Like That, I Have a SIX Year Old!

Wow, is all I can say, six just seems so much older than five. I can't believe that I have been a mom for six years already. It has gone by so quickly, almost too quickly. Oh how I love being this little girls' mom. She is the sweetest little thing, and yet she is growing up. Every day we face new challenges as she pushes and tests us a little bit more, and everyday she makes us smile as her personality develops. Cheyanne is growing up and becoming more independent. She has become a little helper, as long as it is her idea to help, and loves to be able to get up early and help her dad with the chores or hang out in the kitchen, trying to help me make meals. As she is starting to realise that she can make her own decisions, she is beginning to dig in her heels and show her stubborn side. I am hoping we can develop this trait in a positive way, haha, so that she will stand up to the pressures her friends may try to put on her. She also has a flare for the dramatic and can often embellish her emotions to sell her point, maybe she will enjoy the drama club when she is older. Right now she is a little diplomat, she always has a quick and ready argument as to why her way is better, or why she should be able to do what she wants. She also has developed this skill of diplomacy while interacting with friends. I love watching her as she works at not hurting anyone's feelings, and yet not allowing anyone to boss her around. She has amazed me at her poise in this area, I was never very good at doing that as a young kid and often was led by those who I didn't know how to say no to, and was many times afraid to stand up for someone who was being left out. Right now Cheyanne will be quick to tell someone "I want to play with both of you" so that no one gets left out, even if somebody doesn't want to play with her other friend, or "I don't want to play that, but if you want to join me and so and so at this game you can." The funny thing is that when the other person doesn't react the way she expects, she has an incredible look of surprise on her face and she just can't understand why what she said didn't work. School has been a blessing this year. Her teacher has taught her so much about grace, kindness, and the love of Jesus (I hope I can continue to do this as well as Mrs. Sigston has). When I ask her what she has learned in school that day she is quick to tell me the latest bible story or lesson that she has covered.  She has been able to do a lot of really neat things with her class, but some of the highlights have been: grandparent's day, Cheyanne was so excited to show her grandparents what she did at school and to have them come to visit. The class did a unit on pets and Michael brought a calf to school for her to show, they named it Lisa and Cheyanne was so excited to get to teach her class about i,t and to feed the calf a bottle in front of them. Her field trip to the hospital  had her so excited, especially because she got to see a new baby girl! Having her cat get lost at school and then finding it again (the cat has since passed away though), Valentine's Day, Making Mother's Day crafts, her Christmas Concert, and I am sure there will be many more by the end of the school year.

Cheyanne's birthday came at an incredibly busy time this year. I always like to make a big deal about the kids on their birthday so that they know that we celebrate the day they were born just because they are who they are. I want them to know that they don't have to do anything or be anything for us to love them, that they are special, and that we are thankful to be parenting them. This year it felt like Cheyanne's birthday snuck up on me. She wanted a butterfly birthday party, luckily for me I had been at Dollarama one day, an amazing but dangerous store, and had happened to find a bunch of butterfly things that I could use for her party. Even though I felt like I was so busy and disorganized this year, she had a blast because she got to party a lot: the morning of her actual birthday, all day at school she got to be the special helper, with her friends on Saturday, and with the family Saturday night. Her birthday was a school day so we didn't have a lot of time but we put some candles in a left over pancake (normally they get candles in toast on their birthdays) and sang happy birthday to her. We had bought a special gift to give her on this day, it was a bible. She has wanted her own bible for some time so I bought her one that she could have for now and wrote a few little things in it for her. We also gave her a special butterfly hair clip so she could wear it for her big day at school. We didn't have her party until the Saturday, which also came after a long conference for me and family pictures in the morning. So I quickly made some cupcakes for her party with her friends and ordered an Oreo blizzard cake for the family that was coming over. I am slightly disappointed not to have made a fancy cake, I really enjoy that part of throwing a birthday party, but it was not to be this year, we will see if I am organized enough to do it for Bella in June. We didn't do anything too crazy just had four girls over and let them play dress up, do some crafts, and eat cake. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed watching the social dynamics in action. Not all the kids knew each other so it was humorous watching them try to manage their play. I think our family party was louder than the kid party, add a few extra kids and a lot more adults, as well as a Canuck game and the noise level goes up quite a bit. In all, it was a fun day of celebrating our beautiful daughter who brings us so much joy. I really can't believe that it was six years ago that I was trying to figure out the whole newborn thing. Time goes by so quick!
This is the morning of her actual 6th birthday, our breakfast celebration :)

We had a gift for her to open, even though her party was on
the weekend, she got a butterfly clip for her hair and
her own bible, which she has been asking for. 
Cheyanne requested a butterfly themed party.
The cake was very simple this year due to the craziness of our week! 

Some of her friends and her sisters celebrated with her on Saturday,
Bella, Shiloh, Navi, Cheyanne, Anna, Avery, and Emme

The family party was Saturday evening, we had grandparents,
cousins, and aunts and uncles, it was a lot of chaos but fun all the same :)

Looking for her present from Mommy and Daddy
She found it!
Tyson wrote Cheyanne an amazing birthday card, he is so smart! 
Cheyanne showing all that personality she has :)


Isn't she gorgeous! 
Just a fun shot of the girls having a Royal Tea party while enjoying
the Royal Wedding with Grandma O.


Cheyanne we love you, I am so excited to grow with you and watch you change. I am excited for the growth that you bring out in me, and for what God is teaching me about myself as I parent you. I look forward to spending the next few years really getting to know you. I want to know the strengths and weaknesses God has given you, I want to laugh with you and cry with you, I want to be there for you when you need someone to explain what is going on in your life, and I want to cheer you on as you take steps towards who you are meant to be. I am so glad God has entrusted you to me. I love you Beautiful!

1 comment:

Renee said...

love you chey!!