Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Love Letters from Daddy!

I am married to the most incredible man! He is such an amazing husband, but he is also an unbelievable father!! Every year at Valentine's he makes sure that he has something to give the girls to express how much he loves them. This year he also made sure to include Mason. One of the things that makes this so touching is that he has to be intentional. He has a job that doesn't require him to go into town or drive by a mall, he rarely has reason to leave the farm. In order to make sure that he has something for the kids, he has to make a deliberate choice to go shopping for them (he includes me too, but I am not sharing my note, lol). He buys some candy, a little toy or note book, and this year even some pj's. What I admire most is that he spends a lot of time choosing the perfect card for each child. The verse that is in the card, the picture on the front, and the words he writes inside are tailored to the unique personality of the child who receives it.

~Cheyanne~
The card Michael chose for Cheyanne was beautiful, it was a more elegant card then what he chose for the other girls, and made her feel all grown up. The verse in the card said "Just for you Daughter on Valentine's Day, You are a special daughter and you are loved so very much. Wishing you a Valentines Day filled with all the things you love most. Happy Valentine's Day.

Michael then included his own love note to her. "Happy Valentine's Day Cheyanne. Know that your dad loves you so much and is very proud of you. You're growing into such a great big sister and I love how you include your sisters and little brother in all your little games. You're so sweet hun, I love you!! P.S. Remember even though your getting older, you'll always be Daddy's little girl. <3 <3 <3
~Daddy~

~Emmersen~
The card Michael chose for Emmersen was cute, quirky, and a lot of fun, just like she is. It was a goofy little poodle that loves accessories, also just like Emme! The verse in this card was also very fitting for our sweet quirky little girl. It read, For a Special Daughter, There isn't a daughter sweeter, more lovely, more wonderful than you! Lots of love this Valentine's Day, XOXO.

Michael's love note to her read "Happy Valentine's Day Emmersen!!! You have been such a blessing to me this last year. You've made me laugh, shake my head, and just love having you as my daughter. You have such a beautiful spirit. I love you, ~Daddy~

~Bella~
The card chosen for Bella was a sweet little kitty cat sitting in a pretty pink tea cup, with a verse that read: For you, daughter a special valentine. A girl like you who's such a cutie, fills the world with joy and beauty! So have a day that's just like you - all filled with love and sunshine too!

Michael's special note to Bella read "Happy Valentines Day Isabella! Bella, you are nuts, and we love you so much for it....from all the stories you tell to the quick little sayings you blurt out, to your infectious giggle, you are beautiful! I love all of you. ~Daddy~

~Mason~
This was the first year that Mason has been included in the Valentine's day gifts from daddy. His card was a cute little train that said Happy Valentine's Day son, hope your valentine's day is filled with good times and great fun!

Michael's special note to Mason was "Hey big guy. Love hanging out with you. You like trucks, hockey, cows and food, I think I will keep you around. Love you Mason, ~Daddy!
PS. Hang in there bud!

Our Valentines day this year was a little "bigger" then normal. It just so happened that we were studying love in our Superhero Series that is based on 1 Timothy 4:12, (It's a great series of activities that I got from Impress your Kids) and I had managed to pop into Dollerama, which meant cheap decorations :) . The girls and I had made a poster for the verse Deuteronomy 6:5, because what is a better way to set an example for other believers in love then to love the Lord your God with all your heart....? It was a fun craft and the girls had tons of fun colouring and decorating the picture words I made.

I also wrote out a bunch of verses that talk about love, how we should love others, how God loves us, and how we should demonstrate love. We used these verse cards as part of our decorations, as well as for dinner conversation starters in the week leading up to Valentine's Day.



We made a heart shaped paper chain, with the names of the people we love and how we can show them that love. The kids came up with great ideas, and we were able to talk about the difference between showing love to friends, family, church members, and even strangers.

We had lots of fun celebrating this year, even though we battled the flu a bit. It was so awesome to use a commercial holiday as a way to discuss God's love for us, and how he desires us to love one another. 
We reused our advent tree and decorated it with hearts, I might just keep this around at least until Easter is over :)
 Valentine's Day breakfast
Emmersen had a valentine's day party at school so she wanted to wear a fancy dress and have her hair braided in the shape of a heart, which isn't easy in short hair, but it did make it for half of the day.

No comments: